Subject: Re: Installing local packages and NetBSD guide
To: Michael Kell Jensen <mkj@micrun.net>
From: Mark Weinem <mark.weinem@alumni.uni-due.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/25/2007 22:39:15
On Tue, 25 Sep 2007, Michael Kell Jensen wrote:

Hi Michael,

> I had to run a program that is not in pkgsrc
>

> While being pretty sure i should install it in /usr/local
> or /usr/localbin or some such.
>
> I wanted to be sure it was correct, but i couldnt find anything
> on it.

There is in fact no general rule, where 3rd party software
packages should be installed. Today, software is stored
everywhere: often in /usr/local, some projects install into the
user's home directory or wherever.

Does the 3rd party software not contain an INSTALL document? Or any
other documentation about the installation?

> Section 4:15 installing software packages
>
> And i think that either in this chapter or one after,before
> there should be a section on installing "local" software
> That is from 3rd party sources. (not pkgsrc)

3rd party sources do usually document the installation. I think this
cannot (and should not) be the task of the guide.

> Also i read somewhere that NetBSD makes a directory for each program?

You mean one single directory for all the files of a package (man pages,
icons, etc.)? No, not on NetBSD.

regards, Mark

--
Mark Weinem