Subject: Re: Installing local packages and NetBSD guide
To: NetBSD Users's Discussion List <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@planix.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/25/2007 12:18:25
--pgp-sign-Multipart_Tue_Sep_25_12:18:24_2007-1

At Tue, 25 Sep 2007 09:15:27 -0500 (CDT), Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
>=20
> On Tue, 25 Sep 2007, Magnus Eriksson wrote:
>=20
> >=20
> > Hm, it does: (at least on my system)
> >=20
> >                  local/    local executables, libraries, etc.
>=20
> That was removed almost five years ago.

The description of /usr/local should _NOT_ have been removed from
hier(7).

> ----------------------------
> revision 1.49
> date: 2002/12/20 06:39:55;  author: lukem;  state: Exp;  lines: +1 -15
> Remove /usr/local (and children) from the base distribution; we shouldn't
> be creating directories or modifying permissions under there.
>=20
> (/usr/local/* is still retained in various default PATHs, for convenience)
> ----------------------------

That commit comment does not really give any valid justification for
removing mention of /usr/local and its contents from hier(7).

(It may have been valid justification for removal from the mtree files,
but not from the hier(7) manual page!  Even the final caveat about PATH
settings suggests /usr/local should still be documented properly!)

> I think it should be added back with a note about its use.

Indeed.

Anyone managing a system and hoping to give it some general likeness to
zillions of other systems out there in the world (with perhaps the
exception of systems using FreBSD's "ports" package management system
and its default settings where they have blindly confused everyone),
e.g. for the purpose of having it conform to the likely expectations of
the administrator who will follow in his or her footsteps, will want to
use /usr/local as the hierarchy start-point for local additions to their
system (or site-wide shared local hierarchy).

In any case hier(7) is not only a description of the base system, but
also a guide to the administrator and as such it should document a
suggested layout for locally added files and subsystems.

--=20
						Greg A. Woods

H:+1 416 218-0098 W:+1 416 489-5852 x122 VE3TCP RoboHack <woods@robohack.ca>
Planix, Inc. <woods@planix.com>       Secrets of the Weird <woods@weird.com>