Subject: Re: iSCSI problems with AIX initiator
To: None <nbap@gmx.net>
From: Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/25/2007 15:15:44
On Tue, Sep 25, 2007 at 02:04:24PM +0200, nbap@gmx.net wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using iscsi-target "netbsd-iscsi 20060727" from pkgsrc
> on 4.0_BETA2 with an AIX 5.3 software initiator.
> It seems that AIX wants SCSI write and verify - I get an
>
> UNKNOWN OPCODE 0x2e
>
> when using the AIX hdisk.

SCSI opcode 0x2e is Write and Verify, I believe. It's never
been implemented to date because none of the iSCSI initiators
I've found have needed it.

> Is this correct or am I misinterpreting the message?
> Would it be (easily) possible to add support for 0x2e?

It should be - I see that WRITE and VERIFY is part of SPC4,
and not SPC3 (I used SPC3 when coding the target). The latest
version of SPC4 that I can find on www.t10.org is marked "DRAFT".

> Furthermore I get an
>
> Unsupported INQUIRY VPD page 86
>
> when first accessing the iSCSI target from AIX (via cfgmgr).
> What does this mean - any help would be appreciated.

The INQUIRY commands try to find out information about
the devices. The NetBSD iSCSI target implements VPD page
code 83 emulation (because the Solaris 10 initiator uses
this). Page 83 is defined as Device Identification. Page
86 emulation is not yet implemented in the target, mainly
because there's not been a need to do so until now. Page
86 is defined by T10 in SPC3 as Extended INQUIRY Data. It
should be easy enough to implement, assuming infinite or
even a small amount of time on my part. I shall put it on
my TODO list.

Thanks for trying out the NetBSD iSCSI target with AIX.

Regards,
Alistair