Subject: Re: Installing local packages and NetBSD guide
To: Michael Kell Jensen <mkj@micrun.net>
From: Magnus Eriksson <magetoo@fastmail.fm>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/25/2007 16:01:21
On Tue, 25 Sep 2007, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Sep 2007, Michael Kell Jensen wrote:
>
>> But now i install my program (genext2fs)into /usr/local/
>> or should it be /usr/local/genetx2fs/ ?
>
> That depends on the particular software's build/installation system.

I don't think that's what he meant...

Personally, I've installed such "third-party" things under /usr/local.  It
seems like the most logical choice, and it works - but now that you
mention it, I don't recall ever reading that it was the *right* place to
use.

>> So shouldnt man hier mention /usr/local ?

Hm, it does: (at least on my system)

                 local/    local executables, libraries, etc.

But it isn't very descriptive.  "local executables" may make perfect sense
if you already know what it means, but it could be clearer.  "site local
..." maybe, or "executables ... unique to the system", or something.

Take care,
MAgnus