Subject: Re: Problems with postfix on NetBSD 4 RC1
To: Jan Danielsson <jan.m.danielsson@gmail.com>
From: Michael van Elst <mlelstv@serpens.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/16/2007 10:47:29
On Sun, Sep 16, 2007 at 02:46:48AM +0200, Jan Danielsson wrote:
>    But this is actually pretty uninteresting. The *interesting* part is
> that if I reboot, I'll probably be able to get the directory listing
> when I've su:ed to pkgsrc and run "ls -l". Then, if I go out for a walk,
> or if I use my normal user "jan" to startx, and browse around using
> Firefox for a while, then "ls -l" with the su:ed pkgsrc user *won't* work.

Ok. This is interesting and smells like a cache consistency problem.

I see that you don't use the GENERIC kernel. What did you change?
Do you apply any tunings (sysctl)?

How much memory does your system have? The behaviour could be
triggered by a memory shortage. Do you have swap configured?

What filesystem do you use? I wouldn't trust LFS for this,
especially under low memory conditions.

Greetings,
--
                                Michael van Elst