Subject: Re: NetBSD NSF server with OS X NFS clients
To: Giles Lean <>
From: Chuck Swiger <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/13/2007 11:52:35
On Sep 13, 2007, at 5:31 AM, Giles Lean wrote:
> Jukka Marin <> wrote:
>> Then, I noticed that files with umlaut characters (=F6, =E4, =D6, =C4
>> on my case) in their names cannot be accessed by OS X.  Some kind =20
>> of a
>> Latin-1 vs. UTF thing.
> How are you trying to access them?  If I've created the test file
> correctly, then I can read it with cat(1) on OS/X and edit it with
> vi(1) via a NFS mount from a NetBSD-4.0_RC1 system.

That makes sense, as NFS predates i18n and many of the simple CLI =20
utilities like cat or vi you've mentioned are not going to be locale =20
aware, either.

> On the other hand:
> o fails to open the test file whether I try File->Open
>   within TextEdit or if I specify from the Finder
> o Safari was the same as TextEdit, and won't open the file
> o Firefox exited with 'The application Firefox quit unexpectedly' (I
>   tried twice, and it fell over twice) when I try to open the file

The Mac HFS filesystem represents all filenames in Unicode (UTF16) =20
[1], which is not the case for Berkeley FFS aka the UFS of NetBSD.  I =20=

suspect that the tools mentioned above notice that the filename =20
contains non-ASCII characters, and convert the path into the UTF16 =20
representation they expect to find and fail because that pathname =20
doesn't really exist over NFS.

If someone is motivated, please feel free to file an issue against =20