Subject: Re: NetBSD NSF server with OS X NFS clients
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@embedtronics.fi>
From: Giles Lean <giles.lean@pobox.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/13/2007 22:31:36
Jukka Marin <jmarin@embedtronics.fi> wrote:

> Then, I noticed that files with umlaut characters (=F6, =E4, =D6, =C4
> on my case) in their names cannot be accessed by OS X.  Some kind of a
> Latin-1 vs. UTF thing.

How are you trying to access them?  If I've created the test file
correctly, then I can read it with cat(1) on OS/X and edit it with
vi(1) via a NFS mount from a NetBSD-4.0_RC1 system.

On the other hand:

o TextEdit.app fails to open the test file whether I try File->Open
  within TextEdit or if I specify FileEdit.app from the Finder

o Safari was the same as TextEdit, and won't open the file

o Firefox exited with 'The application Firefox quit unexpectedly' (I
  tried twice, and it fell over twice) when I try to open the file

> I believe this problem is in OS X and not in NetBSD, ...

I'd agree, I think.  It's pretty odd that some applications can access
the file and others can't.

Troubleshooting it could be challenging; my guess (and I emphasise that
I'm guessing) is that the problem is in some library that the failing
applications are using and not in the actual OS/X NFS client.  NFS
should not care what the locale is.

Good luck,

Giles