Subject: NetBSD NSF server with OS X NFS clients
To: NetBSD Users <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@embedtronics.fi>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/13/2007 13:33:11
Hello,

NFS was working just fine between NetBSD systems and an embedded linux
box.  Then a Macbook entered the house and the problems began.  First,
I had to allow mount requests from ports >=1023.  Then, I noticed that
files with umlaut characters (ö, ä, Ö, Ä on my case) in their names
cannot be accessed by OS X.  Some kind of a Latin-1 vs. UTF thing.

I believe this problem is in OS X and not in NetBSD, but I haven't
found a solution to this problem (only a few people asking the same
question), so I'm posting here - are there any OS X users here to
help?  Renaming the files is not an option, neither do I want to use
samba instead of NFS.

(I _knew_ Macbook was too good to be true....)

Thanks a lot!

  -jm