Subject: Re: NetBSD on virtual machines?
To: Liam Foy <>
From: Chavdar Ivanov <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/05/2007 13:04:48
On 05/09/07, Liam Foy <> wrote:
> On 04/09/07, Mark Weinem <> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm collecting information about virtualization solutions that support
> > NetBSD as a guest system. I know about Xen2/3 but what are your
> > experiences about other virtualization products, on other OSes (and on
> > hardware platforms apart from i386/amd64)?
> >

> > Kind regards, Mark Weinem

I am currently running a few VMWare server 1.03 machines, i386
-current and 4.0RC1, wothout any problems. I have been through
Microsoft Virtual PC 2007, Virtual Server Enterprize and Parallels
(the latter on Windows) with success - although the former too appear
to be somewhat slower.

What I could not do - although it might seem strange - was to get any
NetBSD to run as a guest machine under XenSource 3.[01] - even with
the special XEN3 kernels. It always bombed on me; but then FreeBSD
looped endlessly, some Linux systems misbehaved in different ways etc.
(only OpenBSD 4.1 worked out of the box on this one).

I use virtual machine setup with xBSD mostly for pkgsrc builds and
also some firewalling. Interestngly enough, I have got a NetBSD
visrtual machine under VMWare which I use as a boot loader/NFS kernel
server for a HP-PA workstation running -current.

> I use Mac OS X Parallels with NetBSD flawlessly. Its simple to setup and
> seems to have pretty good performance. I know at least NetBSD 4 will boot
> on Parallels flawlessly (GENERIC that is).
> --
> Liam J. Foy
> <- BSD News

Chavdar Ivanov