Subject: Re: kernel options needed for USB support in 4.0_BETA2?
From: Julian Coleman <jdc@coris.org.uk>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/03/2007 10:51:49
> If I remember right, the kernel will compile once you copy over the
> USB stuff and reference it in  the files.conf. The part where I run
> out of talent is figuring out major and minor numbers, and getting
> MAKEDEV to actually make devices.

The major number list inside the kernel is built from the file
src/sys/arch/<arch>/conf/majors.<arch>.  So, for sparc64, USB is:

  $ grep usb src/sys/arch/sparc64/conf/majors.sparc64
  device-major    usb             char 78                 usb

Minor numbers depend on the driver in question.  There are also other USB
devices (e.g. urio) to add to the majors file.

/dev/MAKEDEV is generated from the scripts and templates src/etc/MAKEDEV*.
The script pulls in the arch-specific majors file as well.

  My other computer also runs NetBSD    /        Sailing at Newbiggin
        http://www.netbsd.org/        /   http://www.newbigginsailingclub.org/