Subject: Re: swap partitions on all drives?
To: James Hartley <jjhartley@gmail.com>
From: matthew sporleder <msporleder@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/27/2007 23:46:34
On 8/27/07, James Hartley <jjhartley@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a slow system (by today's standards...) which I am about to add
> a second drive.  For performance reasons, am I better off making a
> swap partition on the new drive?  Should it be the same size as the
> swap partition on the original drive?

If you're mirroring the disks there are two schools of thought: mirror
swap and don't mirror swap.  I'm of the school that does mirror swap,
but I don't make a big stink about it.  :)

If you're simply adding an extra disk, you should only add swap if
you're running out of existing swap and want to add more.  Otherwise,
you may or may not get a performance increase by splitting swap
between the two disks, or other schemes like that.  It really depends
on your usage and existing swap utilization.