Subject: Re: chroot & null mount?
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: James Hartley <jjhartley@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/22/2007 12:57:43
On 8/22/07, Geert Hendrickx <ghen@telenet.be> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 22, 2007 at 12:23:45PM -0700, James Hartley wrote:
> > So there is no need to have some type of tmp directory available to a
> > chroot'ed environment?  Or should a tmp directory be created within the
> > chroot & explicitly purged at system startup?
>
> Unless the tempdir has to be shared with other parts of the system, why not
> keep it in the chroot area?  You can purge it from /etc/rc.local, or use a
> memory filesystem (mfs, tmpfs).

From the following:

http://netbsd.gw.com/cgi-bin/man-cgi?mount_tmpfs++NetBSD-current

http://netbsd-soc.sourceforge.net/projects/tmpfs/

...it appears this is the way to easily set up a RAMdisk.  This
actually helps with another issue I have been needing to pursue, but
that's another thread if I have more questions.  :-)

Thank you both Peter & Geert for your comments.

Jim