Subject: Re: is modular X.org in 4.0_BETA2?
To: James Hartley <jjhartley@gmail.com>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/17/2007 16:10:27
On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 12:46:37 -0700
"James Hartley" <jjhartley@gmail.com> wrote:

> I apologize upfront as I am not currently at a desktop where I can
> confirm this for myself.
>
> Is the modular X.org part of 4.0_BETA2 x*.tgz file sets, or do I need
> to install modular X.org through pkgsrc?
>
> Thanks for any candor shared.

pkgsrc only, even in -current.

My recommendation for new systems is to start with modular xorg, and
ignore the XFree86 that comes with the distribution.  (Of course,
that's an i386 perspective; other platforms may have other issues.)

There is one major potential headache: security advisories.  Changes to
the base system -- including xsrc -- are pretty local in scope.
Changes to a package can often mean recompiling a lot of indirect
dependencies, including such monsters as qt3.  Judicious use of 'make
replace' can help, but that's a dangerous command if you don't know
what you're doing.

I'm in the process of converting several systems; I should write up
some notes.  Most things just work; a few packages are likely to fail
at first.  That number will decrease as time goes by.