Subject: Re: Faster boot - Delaying rc.conf services
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: George Georgalis <george@galis.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/11/2007 20:55:38
On Sat, Aug 11, 2007 at 03:50:39PM -0700, C. K. wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I would like to have fast initial boot and it could be better to have ie; 5
>mins delay in starting following services -- which are currently in rc.conf
>file:
>
>sshd=YES
>apache=YES
>mysqld=YES
>lpd=YES
>and_similar_softwares=YES
>

>Then, KDM login screen may appear ie; 10 secs faster. sleep (5); in ie;
>/etc/rc.d/sshd didn't work.

probably x11 is the thing that takes longest to
start. as was already suggested, see man rcorder
to figure out how to start your favorites before
the others. be careful, when you change your rc.d
order, things are bound to break. you could create
a new rc.d script that has no action but "provides"
post-kdm, and have the daemons you mention "depend"
on post-kdm.

You might also adjust bootblocks to only wait 2
seconds, or 0 seconds before loading the kernel.

// George

--
George Georgalis, information system scientist <IXOYE><