Subject: Re: "Invalid shared object handle"
To: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
From: Robby Griffin <rmg@yakshavers.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/09/2007 09:05:58
On Aug 9, 2007, at 08:38, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:

> I'm trying to package alltray (http://alltray.sourceforge.net/).  When
> I run it, though, I get three instances of the message
>
> 	"Invalid shared object handle"
>
> I had to grep /usr/src to see where it came from; the answer is
> libexec/ld.elf_so/rtld.c.  What I don't understand is what the message
> means or what I can do to make it go away.

The ldd output probably doesn't matter. The application itself is
trying to grovel around in shared objects. Looks like several
places in lib/nomap.c don't check the return value of dlopen()
before passing it to dlsym(). Contrary to the documentation for
dlopen(), it can return NULL (instead of terminating the program)
if asked to open a nonexistent library.

	--Robby