Subject: bridge and ifconfig "capabilities"
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Joel CARNAT <joel@carnat.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/07/2007 15:55:07
Hello,

When I add a network interface that has "capabilities" setup into a
bridge, it freezes the network flow.

For example, an interface setup this way:
----------
gem0: ...
        capabilities=3c00<TCP4CSUM_Rx,TCP4CSUM_Tx,UDP4CSUM_Rx,UDP4CSUM_Tx>
        enabled=0
----------
has no issue with bridging.

But if the interface is configures as follow:
----------
gem0: ...
        capabilities=3c00<TCP4CSUM_Rx,TCP4CSUM_Tx,UDP4CSUM_Rx,UDP4CSUM_Tx>
        enabled=3c00<TCP4CSUM_Rx,TCP4CSUM_Tx,UDP4CSUM_Rx,UDP4CSUM_Tx>
then the network freezes as soon as this interface is added to a bridge.

I run 4.0_BETA2 on /xen (fxp0) and /macppc (gem0) and the behaviour is the
same. I've also seen the same behaviour on 4.99.x/i386 (bge0) when
bridging the interface to give some network to Qemu.

Is this expected ?
Are there any settings to allow such capabilities and bridging ?

TIA,
   Jo