Subject: Re: none
To: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
From: Rakhesh Sasidharan <rakhesh@rakhesh.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/06/2007 22:03:29
>> So what I understand is that if I install one of the daily ISOs from
>> the NetBSD-4 branch and then keep updating it through cvsup or
>> whatever, when NetBSD-4 final is released I won't have to do anything
>> extra. Right?
>
> That's right.  Of course, for those doing source updates along the
> branch the, release is just a special point - you'd most likely keep
> following the post-release changes.

I assume you mean one would follow the post-release changes to keep track
of NetBSD 4.1 (or 4.0.x etc). And if I don't want that, I should be able
to stick onto 4.0 once its released and then just follow its security
patches etc. Right? (Just confirming so I know its possible to install one
of the dailies now, keep following the 4 branch till its released, and
stop then after that except for updates).

>> Possibly a naive/ uninformed question: One updates NetBSD by
>> downloading the source code changes and then compiling the whole
>> system, right? Would that mean a lot of compiling daily since there
>> would be updates every day ...?
>
> It takes about 2+ hours on a 3.4 GHz P4 with modern disks and 1-2 GB
> memory, when building from scratch.  Subsequent builds are much faster
> because only things that need rebuilding are built (via make depend
> rules).  But there's no reason to update every day.  Once a week is
> usually plenty.

I see.

Thanks a ton for all your info so far by the way. Very helpful. :)

Regards,
Rakhesh