Subject: Re: swapctl(8)
To: None <prlw1@newn.cam.ac.uk>
From: Havard Eidnes <he@NetBSD.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/02/2007 20:56:56
> > IIUC it should read
> >
> >       -A      This option causes swapctl to read the /etc/fstab fil=
e for
> >               devices and files with a ``sw'' or ``dp'' type, and a=
dds all
> >               ``sw'' type entries as swap devices and a ``dp'' type=
 entry
> >               as the dump device.
> >
> > instead.
>
> That makes sense - who can commit your prose?

I can, and just did, with a minor tweak:

     -A      This option causes swapctl to read the /etc/fstab file for=

             devices and files with a ``sw'' or ``dp'' type, and adds a=
ll
             ``sw'' type entries as swap devices and sets the last ``dp=
'' type
             entry as the dump device. [...]

I checked the kernel and the swapctl source, and as far as I can
see the kernel will just keep a single dump device, but swapctl
will in sequence set each 'dp' entry as the swap device while
traversing fstab, and therefore if there is more than one 'dp'
entry, only the last one will remain as the active dump device,
so it's better to be specific about it.

Regards,

- H=E5vard