Subject: i686 SMP Kernel?
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Matt <hsf@clanhop.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/01/2007 11:14:22
Hello Everybody,

I'm new to NetBSD, so please bear with me.

After installing NetBSD and configuring it, I realized that it was only
running on one core on my dual core Dell Latitude D820. I recompiled the
kernel with the configurations from the GENERIC_LAPTOP and GENERIC.MP,
thinking it was an issue with the i686 cpu not being used to its full
capacity. Same thing happened, it was only using one core.

I also saw in Gnome that the System Monitor only showed one cpu.

I was reading around the BSD forums and people said that the SMP kernel
was very experimental, but I'm wondering if it is possible to use it at
all? Could I use the 64bit version instead (highly risky I know)

It wouldn't be fun to have a system that I could only use half the
capacity of :P

-Matt