Subject: Re: Why is Firefox "Bon Echo"?
To: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
From: Evaldo Gardenali <evaldo@gardenali.biz>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/25/2007 19:33:19
From: "Andy Ruhl" acruhl@gmail.com
> On 7/25/07, Evaldo Gardenali <evaldo@gardenali.biz> wrote:
>> Hi
>> You can't use the name Firefox (TM) or the Firefox logo unless you are
>> distributing the official build by mozilla.com.
>>
>> "Our code is free, but we do strictly enforce our trademark rights, we
>> must,
>> in order to keep them valid. Our trademarks include, among others, the
>> names
>> Mozilla, Firefox, Thunderbird, Bugzilla and XUL, as well as the Mozilla
>> logo, Firefox logo, Thunderbird logo and the red lizard logo. This means
>> that, while you have considerable freedom to redistribute and modify our
>> software, there are tight restrictions on your ability to use the Mozilla
>> name and logos, even when built into binaries that we provide."
>> http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/about/licensing.html
>
> Ok, so who decided to use "Deer Park" or "Bon Echo"? Was that the
> package maintainer?
>
> I wouldn't mind naming it :)
>
> Andy

These names are the original release names for each firefox version, and
they are the default names if you build the sources as-is without changing
anything. This is not someone renaming/forking/whatever like Debian/GNU
people and their IceWeasel firefox fork.
http://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox

"2 Firefox 3.0 (Gran Paradiso) Plan
 3 Firefox 2.0 (Bon Echo) Plan
 4 Firefox 1.5 (Deer Park) Plan