Subject: Re: Broadcasting to 255.255.255.255
To: Michael van Elst <mlelstv@serpens.de>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@softjar.se>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/20/2007 11:12:51
Michael van Elst skrev:
> On Fri, Jul 20, 2007 at 12:39:55AM +0200, Johnny Billquist wrote:
>> If I want a broadcast to go out on a specific device, I can do a
>> broadcast to that device's network broadcast address.
>
> You assume that you already have a network address.

Yes. And what is wrong with that assumption?
I know that others are arguing about when you don't have an address yet,
but that is a can of worms with headaches that also needs to be sorted
out. But for me, I just reacted to the way a broadcast was changed into
a directed broadcast by the OS without me asking it to.

> Think about 255.255.255.255 as a link local address that needs to
> be scoped to be meaningful. Then you have three options:
>
> - only allow it to broadcast packets to all interfaces.

That would actually be rather nice. I didn't think of that one, but it
would actually perhaps make the most sense.

> - use some definition of 'default interface'

There already is. At the moment, some interface is chosen. However, the
destination address is then changed to be a specific broadcast on that
interface's network broadcast address, which is what I'm objecting to.

> - extend the API to specify an interface

Ugh! No thanks... :-)

> The first is rarely what you want, the latter won't happen.

Why wouldn't the first one be what I want?

	Johnny

email: bqt@softjar.se             ||  Reading murder books