Subject: Re: Broadcasting to 255.255.255.255
To: Johnny Billquist <bqt@softjar.se>
From: Michael van Elst <mlelstv@serpens.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/20/2007 07:19:19
On Fri, Jul 20, 2007 at 12:39:55AM +0200, Johnny Billquist wrote:
> If I want a broadcast to go out on a specific device, I can do a
> broadcast to that device's network broadcast address.

You assume that you already have a network address.

Think about 255.255.255.255 as a link local address that needs to
be scoped to be meaningful. Then you have three options:

- only allow it to broadcast packets to all interfaces.
- use some definition of 'default interface'
- extend the API to specify an interface

The first is rarely what you want, the latter won't happen.

Greetings,
--
                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv@serpens.de