Subject: Re: RAIDframe as root and kernel dumps
To: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
From: Stephen Borrill <netbsd@precedence.co.uk>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/19/2007 14:46:18
On Thu, 19 Jul 2007, Greg Troxel wrote:
> The only reason is that if you have trouble, you can get a backtrace and
> post it, and that may be helpful if you have a problem that others do
> not have.
>
>> Is there any other reason or is it save to just use swap inside of the
>> raid and not having space for crash dumps?
>
> As the guide says, setting up kernel dumps to overlap with raid swap is
> dangerous.  So you have several choices:
>
> 1) don't make swap big enough for dumps, and never have dumps
>
> 2) make swap big enough, and don't set them up, letting you do it later

What I've tried to do is to create a shadow disklabel entry with a start
offset of 64 more than the RAID partition for swap and a size of 64 less
with type swap (IYSWIM). I then set this (on the first disc) as the dump
device. However, it complains that dumping to dev 18,8 offset xxxx is not
possible. I'm not sure why, the same trick works for filesystem if the
shadow entry is 4.2BSD.

--
Stephen