Subject: Re: Adding /usr/local to daily security audit
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/17/2007 12:33:19
On Dec 6,  6:43pm, Thilo Jeremias wrote:
} Henry Nelson wrote:
} > On Thu, Jun 28, 2007 at 03:46:52PM -0700, Jeff_W wrote:
} >
} >> Is there an easy way? Mainly just want to check the binaries, libraries
} >> and config files under /usr/local.  Doesn't need to be at the same level
} >> as the default /usr/pkg audit, maybe just daily checks of
} >
} > Are you implying here that /usr/pkg is given a periodic security check
} > by default, but /usr/local is not?  Is this something new in NetBSD 4?
} > Can someone confirm this?

     The only thing I see in a perusal of /etc/daily and /etc/security
is that /etc/security checks for changes in the list of installed
packages.  Otherwise, there is no special treatment of either directory.

} > Almost every application that I know of, along with their library
} > dependencies, are installed under /usr/local (or /usr/X11R6) by default.
} > /usr/pkg doesn't even exist on my system (NetBSD 3.0).  All this time
} > I was thinking "daily" and "weekly" were watching /usr/local for me.
} > What a bummer.
}
} /usr/pkg is the default install location since nbsd 1.??
} Every binary package that you install should install there.
} If you use pkgsrc to build your exec's they will also install there.
}
} If you use the GNU configure in source packages THEIR default is /usr/local
} ( either use pkgsrc or -prefix /usr/pkg as an option to be NBSD compatible)

     Yes, /usr/pkg is default prefix for apps installed using pkgsrc.
You can change this if you want.  However, you should not put stuff
that you compile yourself in /usr/pkg.  That area is meant to be
maintained by pkgsrc and messing with it by hand can mess things up.
Stuff that you compile yourself should be placed in /usr/local.

}-- End of excerpt from Thilo Jeremias