Subject: Re: Booting NetBSD from FAT drive
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: didier gaumet <didier.gaumet@libertysurf.fr>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/12/2007 10:49:58
On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 14:58:54 +1000, Brendon Costa wrote:

> --- Grub specific ---
>
> The NetBSD LiveKey seems exactly what i am after, however I have had
> some problems attempting to get it booting. Running grub-install fails
> with:
>
> grub-install --root-directory=/mnt/flash /dev/sd0e
> The file /mnt/flash/grub/stage1 not read correctly.
>
> This seems to be a problem with the root directory command line. I am
> using grub 0.97.
[...]

1) --root-directory is not a mandatory option in your case since you
indicate the directory onto which your key is mounted (root of your key).
It would be usable for example if you would put grub stuff in
/whatever/you/like on your key.

2) "not read correctly" error: I think you must not use NetBSD device name
(/dev/sd0e) but Grub device name. You will find what device name grub has
attributed to /dev/sd0e by takink a look at (and editing it if needed)
/boot/grub/device.map.

I just tried (under Debian Linux) to render a usbkey bootable by grub and
obtained the same error as yours. When I tried:
 grub-install hd1
it went as a charm. (hd1 is in my conf equivalent to /dev/sda).

'Hope this helps...
Didier.