Subject: Re: [HEADS UP] pkg_install pullup
To: NetBSD Users's Discussion List <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: matthew sporleder <msporleder@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/11/2007 14:03:50
> It is really important for you to think about the uses of pkg_install
> outside of pkgsrc.  It is critical that a modern operating system come
> with a standardized package management tool of some form.  It's
> unfortunate that the *BSDs chose the N.I.H. philosophy and rolled their
> own yet again, but that's history now.  It would be really sad if NetBSD
> again distanced itself even further from the pack by blowing all hope of
> maintaining any compatibility with even its fellow *BSDs in this matter.
>

> Really the goal of the NetBSD base OS, w.r.t. pkg_install, should be to
> make it possible to use FreeBSD ports on NetBSD and without having to
> replace pkg_install (or any other basic tools, such as make) in the
> process!

Modern operating systems share pkg formats?  I'm afraid I couldn't
disagree more!  rpm isn't even the same between different linux's
using it, and it's probably as close a "standard" as you're going to
find.  macosx has multiple formats within itself (.app vs bom),
solaris has its own pkg's for software, but not many people distribute
in that format, etc etc etc.

In my opinion the goal of netbsd's base os pkg_install should be for
system pkg's and pkgsrc should come with its own pkg_install called
pkgsrc_install or something similar.  The ability of netbsd's pkg_info
(for example) to interact with pkgsrc is simply a bonus.