Subject: Re: How can I get more fss devices?
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Klaus Heinz <k.heinz.jul.sieben@kh-22.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/08/2007 11:10:35
Christos Zoulas wrote:

> You need to recompile the kernel bumping the number there unfortunately.
> Someone should make this a cloner :-)

That's what I thought, when I read the original message yesterday. My
search for specific information about cloning devices turned up several
discussions on mail-index.NetBSD.org but I found no reference for
converting existing device drivers to the cloning method.

Is there a list of drivers where cloning is possible and desired by the
project? I suppose the list of pseudo-devices in the GENERIC/ALL kernels
of the form
  pseudo-device name number
should be a good starting point.

Together with a good documentation reference (in the "NetBSD internals"
part of www.NetBSD.org?) this might provide projects of the right size
for people interested in starting kernel work.

ciao
     Klaus