Subject: Re: How to globally increase maximum data segment size?
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Chris <humptymoo@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/19/2007 11:54:50
On 19/06/07, Chris <humptymoo@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to run a Java application, but it fails with an out of
> memory exception. On a Linux box, I
> can see that it's using almost 1Gb of memory:
>
>                                    VIRT   RES    SHR
> 27726 root      25   0 1021m 558m  14m S    0 22.0  96:02.11 java
>
> I've tried to increase the various limits on my NetBSD box using
> /etc/login.conf, but it appears
> that the hard limits compiled into the GENERIC kernel (it's netbsd-4
> from a recent daily build),
> are too low. Reading options(4) I see that I can set various options
> such as MAXDSIZ and
> build a custom kernel. I was wondering what options I would need to
> set, and what to set the
> to, in order to ensure that a process like the one shown above would
> run on my NetBSD box.

OK, after a bit of experimentation I've now got things running, so
just in case anyone's interested here's what I had to do. Recompile
the kernel, with the only change from GENERIC being an options MAXDSIZ
line:

options MAXDSIZ="2147483648U"

Then once that was built and in place I added the following to ~/.profile:

export CATALINA_OPTS="-Xms128m -Xmx1024m"

ulimit -s 8192
ulimit -d 2040288
ulimit -l 2040288

Following a reboot I'm able to start the webapp, and after a little
light testing it seems to run fine!

Chris
--
We are all worms, but I do believe that I am a glow-worm.
Sir Winston Churchill