Subject: How to globally increase maximum data segment size?
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Chris <humptymoo@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/19/2007 10:01:14
Hi,

I'm trying to run a Java application, but it fails with an out of
memory exception. On a Linux box, I
can see that it's using almost 1Gb of memory:

                                   VIRT   RES    SHR
27726 root      25   0 1021m 558m  14m S    0 22.0  96:02.11 java

I've tried to increase the various limits on my NetBSD box using
/etc/login.conf, but it appears
that the hard limits compiled into the GENERIC kernel (it's netbsd-4
from a recent daily build),
are too low. Reading options(4) I see that I can set various options
such as MAXDSIZ and
build a custom kernel. I was wondering what options I would need to
set, and what to set the
to, in order to ensure that a process like the one shown above would
run on my NetBSD box.

Regards,

Chris
--
We are all worms, but I do believe that I am a glow-worm.
Sir Winston Churchill