Subject: Re: Total system freeze (i386) [addendum]
To: =?ISO-8859-2?Q?Przemys=B3aw_Pawe=B3czyk?= <pp@kv.net.pl>
From: Chavdar Ivanov <ci4ic4@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/11/2007 12:21:54
On 11/06/07, Przemysław Pawełczyk <pp@kv.net.pl> wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 11:28:37 +0200
> Gilles Gravier <Gilles@Gravier.org> wrote:
>
> > Have you looked at the status LEDs on your hard drive?
> Nop.
>
> > Could it be that your system's stuck on an IO? Does it stay
> > completely on?
>
> With sound similar to "frozen" CD player like dadeda, dadeda,
> dadeda,... at finitum.

... ad infinitum %^) ...

I've had this before. My guess is that you are in ddb right now. You say
that the only option at this moment is to do a RESET.

Have you tried to type blindly

     reboot 0x104

and see if you will get a dump on restart (you probably have to wait some
time before anything happens on screen)?

> Does it turn off and stay off?
> System is blocked.
>
> > Does it show some activity?
> Nop. Zero. Apart from the bizarre sound.
>
> > How long have you waited when it freezes?
> 10 or 15 seconds.

Well, in the other mail you say that the only option is RESET. If it comes
back after 10-15", then it maybe indeed some irq conflict.

It's not for the first time. The same
> phenomenon occurred when I tried OpenBSD two years ago. Then I switched
> to NetBSD. The freezes occurred but less frequently. All with the same
> "CD Player's Repetitive Sound Syndrome". :-)
>
> > Maybe it's just a looooooooong flush of the hard disk cache...
> Perhaps. I'll see to it in this way. Remembering your remarks. Thanks.
>
> Regards,
> pp
>
> --
> Przemysław Pawełczyk (p2o2) - pp_o2@o2.pl