Subject: Re: samba on NetBSD 3.1, XP clients, and memory?
To: Carl Brewer <carl@bl.echidna.id.au>
From: Stephen Borrill <netbsd@precedence.co.uk>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/10/2007 09:29:47
Carl Brewer wrote:
> Stephen Borrill wrote:
>
>>> Has anyone here seen that problem, and knows a fix?
>>

>> This is probably the telldir problem PR/24324. I've a patch against
>> 3.1_STABLE that I keep meaning to get pulled up. In the mean time, the
>> patch in the PR will get you going with a bit of work.
>

> Oh, that seems like a reasonably deep problem.  Will/is it fixed in
> any of the 4.0RC's or -current etc?

Yes, it's fixed in 4.0 and -current (though there has been the suggestion
that there is a still a remaining memory leak somewhere).

The way to easily spot the telldir problem is to look at the smbd memory
usage while hitting F5 in a Windows Explorer window (Refresh) which is
viewing a Samba share. It'll increase every time you hit F5.

> I don't want to go that deep into hacking at the OS to get
> samba to work.  As a workaround, would simply restarting
> samba every hour or so be enough to cope with it?

Yes, that works (FSVO work).

--
Stephen