Subject: Re: "Software cooling" for processor
To: Zbigniew Baniewski <zb@ispid.com.pl>
From: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.org.uk>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/09/2007 12:30:33
On Fri, Jun 08, 2007 at 11:23:05PM +0200, Zbigniew Baniewski wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 08, 2007 at 09:08:37PM +0000, Martijn van Buul wrote:
>
> > It does, at least in -current and 4.0beta2
>
> I suppose, there aren't any real contras against using 4.0beta2-kernel with
> 3.1 userspace?

Certain system utilities will not work properly, especially those
accessing kernel memory to obtain information.  You might also
experiences problem with (building) software that uses the output of
"uname -r" to determine the operating system version.  It might not
work because it expects the libraries and header files to match the
kernel version. So It's good enough for trying out but not for long
term use.

If the 4.0_BETA2 kernel works better for you I would recomment updating
the system. My server is running 4.0_BETA2 since a few weeks without
any problems.

	Kind regards