Subject: Re: Newbie having trouble with proxy setup
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: shakeshuck <graham.stephens@computergeek.co.uk>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/08/2007 23:22:52
Chuck Swiger-2 wrote:

> On Jun 8, 2007, at 1:43 PM, shakeshuck wrote:
>> I'm trying to set up a proxy server using privoxy/ipfilter/ipnat.
>> If I set up
>> ipnat.conf with an rdr from the incoming interface to 127.0.0.1, I
>> can get
>> traffic flowing through privoxy.
>> What I want it to do (contrary to most setups) is to pass the
>> clients' IP
>> address to the webserver. At the moment, the web server is
>> reporting the
>> proxy's address.
>
> Of course it is.  :-)
>
> If you redirect or otherwise have clients connect via a proxy, then
> the requests going out to the webservers are going to come from the
> proxy server.  It is likely that privoxy has controls for the X-
> Forwarded-For: header, which are normally used by proxies to indicate
> the client machine which made the original request.
>
> --
> -Chuck

Yes, that's what the -hide-forwarded-for-headers action does. After some
rejigging of the action files, I realised I could test this through the web
interface in privoxy. X-Forwarded-For is now being set properly.

In the end it appears my confusion lies with php - the suggested parameter
to use is REMOTE_ADDR, but this displays the proxy address, not the client.
Oh well. Thanks for the input. :-)