Subject: Re: suspend-to-disk and USB
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Martijn van Buul <pino@dohd.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/08/2007 21:05:37
* Andrew Ball:

> Hello Martijn,
>
>   ASB> I previously used NetBSD on an old Toshiba Satellite Pro 430CDT
>      > and can confirm that suspend and resume worked without
>      > problems.  This machine had APM firmware and did not need ACPI.
>
>   MvB> But that's not suspend-to-disk.
>
> I thought it was, but it's been a while.

Ditto here. In fact, I used to have a 430CDT as well as a 220CS - the latter
being a non-pro version. IIRC the 430CDT was a Pentium 120, and not even
a PCI design. I preferred the 220 (which was, and had a P133 to boot), even
though it didn't have the nice and clean TFT panel the 430 had.

Either way, none of them did suspend-to-disk, if memory serves me right.
Suspend-to-ram worked like a charm, though.

> Suspend-to-RAM seems to be more fassionable these days, probably
> because of a faster "wake up" time.

Sadly, it draws more power while suspended. I'd like to see suspend-to-disk
going on my current laptop (A thinkpad A31, weighs a ton, battery life
is suboptimal to say the very least), but all I managed to pull off so
far is suspend-to-ram.

Ah well, it beats no-suspend-at-all, I suppose. While we're whining about
laptop-related wishes: As far as I know, NetBSD currently supports 3 power
saving technologies, at least on i386: "SpeedStep", "Enhanced SpeedStep" and
"Cool'n'Quiet". The latter two have a very similiar userland interface, so
handy tools like esd can do their stuff - it would be really nifty if the
*original* speedstep would look like that too.

--
Martijn van Buul - pino@dohd.org