Subject: Re: Newbie having trouble with proxy setup
To: shakeshuck <graham.stephens@computergeek.co.uk>
From: Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/08/2007 14:03:15
On Jun 8, 2007, at 1:43 PM, shakeshuck wrote:
> I'm trying to set up a proxy server using privoxy/ipfilter/ipnat.
> If I set up
> ipnat.conf with an rdr from the incoming interface to 127.0.0.1, I
> can get
> traffic flowing through privoxy.
> What I want it to do (contrary to most setups) is to pass the
> clients' IP
> address to the webserver. At the moment, the web server is
> reporting the
> proxy's address.

Of course it is.  :-)

If you redirect or otherwise have clients connect via a proxy, then
the requests going out to the webservers are going to come from the
proxy server.  It is likely that privoxy has controls for the X-
Forwarded-For: header, which are normally used by proxies to indicate
the client machine which made the original request.

--
-Chuck