Subject: Re: How to set up sshd_config to allow connection via dydns?
To: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
From: Alasdair Reed <alasdair@iprimus.com.au>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/06/2007 22:55:08
On Tue, Jun 05, 2007 at 12:30:36PM -0400, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Jun 2007 22:56:57 +1000

> Try running
>
>       /usr/sbin/sshd -e -d -D
>
> to get the server's view of what happened.

$  /usr/sbin/sshd -e -d -D
debug1: sshd version OpenSSH_3.9 NetBSD_Secure_Shell-20050213
Could not load host key: /etc/ssh/ssh_host_key
Could not load host key: /etc/ssh/ssh_host_rsa_key
Could not load host key: /etc/ssh/ssh_host_dsa_key
Disabling protocol version 1. Could not load host key
Disabling protocol version 2. Could not load host key
sshd: no hostkeys available -- exiting.

> I don't know what your problem is, but it's quite unlikely to have
> anything to do with dydns if that part is set up properly -- and from
> what you say, it probably is.  (A better way to check that is to look
> at the interface address on your home machine via ifconfig, and see
> what address you see on the outside via, say, 'dig', or even the
> output from ping.)

$ ifconfig -a
rtk0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
address: 00:0a:cd:10:d4:f1
media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX full-duplex)
status: active
inet 192.168.1.101 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255
inet6 fe80::20a:cdff:fe10:d4f1%rtk0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
lo0: flags=8009<UP,LOOPBACK,MULTICAST> mtu 33192
inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x2

How do I use ping or dig to check my outside address on my home machine?

In the hope that it might be helpful I pinged the address that ddclient reported to dyndns using ping -R . ddclient is set up to report the address detected by "check ip" service provided by dyndns, sorry if I am going around in circles but my knowledge is very scant in this area.

$ ping -R 58.179.26.231
PING 58.179.26.231 (58.179.26.231): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 58.179.26.231: icmp_seq=0 ttl=255 time=1.085 ms
RR:     58.179.26.231
        58.179.26.231
		192.168.1.101
		64 bytes from 58.179.26.231: icmp_seq=1 ttl=255 time=0.801 ms   (same
Regards,

Alasdair