Subject: Re: bittorrent
To: None <rmk@rmkhome.com>
From: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.org.uk>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/01/2007 12:40:48
On Wed, May 30, 2007 at 12:50:19PM -0600, Rick Kelly wrote:
> I'm attempting to get bittorrent from pkgsrc running on NetBSD 3.0 i386.

I would recomment using the "rtorrent" package instead. rTorrent is
much faster and much more efficient and support BitTorrent encryption.
Here is an example configuration file (save it as "$HOME/.rtorrentrc"):

encryption = allow_incoming,try_outgoing,enable_retry
hash_max_tries = 1
hash_interval = 10
hash_read_ahead = 64
port_range = 34000-65535
port_random = yes
upload_rate = 40

You might want to adapt "port_range" (port number range for incoming
connections) and "upload_rate" (upload speed in kilobyte per second)
according to your requirements.

> I have installed from pkgsrc. Doesn't seem to work with Mozilla. How does
> it "register itself" with the browser? Is there a manual way to get this
> working?

Try putting this (untested) into "$HOME/.mailcap" :

application/x-bittorrent	xterm -e rtorrent %s

Personally I simply save the ".torrent" file and run rTorrent manually
usually inside a "screen" session.

	Kind regards