Subject: Re: Java for NetBSD
To: Przemys__aw Pawe__czyk <pp@kv.net.pl>
From: Bill Stouder-Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/29/2007 12:35:41
--ZGiS0Q5IWpPtfppv

On Tue, May 29, 2007 at 01:26:10PM -0500, Przemys__aw Pawe__czyk wrote:
> On Tue, 29 May 2007 09:19:27 +0200
> Geert Hendrickx <ghen@telenet.be> wrote:
>=20
> > On Mon, May 28, 2007 at 03:56:42AM -0500, Przemys?aw Pawe?czyk wrote:
> > > Second, I wonder why GNU/Linux __can__ and __may__ have binary packag=
es
> > > to download and install in an easy way but __not__ NetBSD?
> >
> > Because Sun provides binaries for Linux, but not for NetBSD.  Talk to t=
hem.
>=20
> Did't you mix up cause with consequence? I asked for "cause" not the
> "result". If you answered me that "high level" talks with Sun on behalf
> of BSD community failed you'd be more informative. Linux is no match for
> Solaris, what about BSD? Java is present in medium to bigger
> corporations. Wouldn't it be more judicious to put more effort onto
> "Java for BSD Project" even at the espense of development in other
> fields? I hope I sound logical.

Unfortuntately they are the same here.

Java runtime binaries (and I think the development kit too) have to have=20
Sun's blessing to be distributed. Obviously ones that Sun distributes are=
=20
blessed.

For quite a long time, we got not traction at Sun about getting permission=
=20
to have a NetBSD Java. Little difference was seen between us an FreeBSD,=20
so the FreeBSD version was deemed "Good enough for NetBSD," and we=20
couldn't do anything.

Recently (past few years), Sun has been more open about licensing a NetBSD=
=20
Java. Unfortunately there are issues in libpthread in NetBSD 4.0 that=20
prevent it from working. I think -current stands a much better chance, and=
=20
I also hope to address some of the concurrency issues on the=20
wrstuden-fixsa branch (which is a netbsd-4 branch).

Take care,

Bill

--ZGiS0Q5IWpPtfppv

--ZGiS0Q5IWpPtfppv--