Subject: Re: Read-only root filesystem
To: Quentin Garnier <>
From: Greg A. Woods <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/29/2007 14:33:49

At Mon, 21 May 2007 16:44:32 +0200, Quentin Garnier wrote:
> On Mon, May 21, 2007 at 09:19:41AM -0400, matthew sporleder wrote:
> > I can't help but think this would be better in rc.conf as something lik=
> > mfsdev=3DYES
> >=20
> > or whatever.
> Except that init(8) needs to setup that very early and can't be bothered
> parsing rc.conf.

Well the only thing init(8) really needs /dev for is to open
/dev/console, but that's kinda bogus because the kernel should be
handing STDIO file descriptors for the actual console device to init(8)
when it does the magic to start it as PID#1.  That would make everything
much easier.

I've been wanting to implement that fix for a very long time now but I'm
quite familiar enough with the code that would be necessary to
manufacture the appropriate file descriptors for a device that the
kernel has already effectively opened.

						Greg A. Woods

H:+1 416 218-0098 W:+1 416 489-5852 x122 VE3TCP RoboHack <>
Planix, Inc. <>       Secrets of the Weird <>

MessageID: ArkOONFsaRRVXOsy7NEgeq6Kq/Cgm8mV