Subject: Re: Java or what (Re: Java for NetBSD)
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Smith <smithm@netapps.com.au>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/26/2007 08:20:29
On Fri, 25 May 2007 17:06:35 -0500
Przemys=C5=82aw Pawe=C5=82czyk <pp@kv.net.pl> wrote:

> 1) Installing Java on NetBSD seems to be very complex task. Could it be
> easier?

I find Kaffe to be pretty easy to install from pkgsrc

> 2) If native Java for NetBSD i386 version was created would you be kind
> to provide me with binaries? Wouldn't it be against "a law" if I put it
> on my WWW in Missing Binaries page:
> http://pp.kv.net.pl/lnbsd/binaries.html

You must be referring to licenses imposed by Sun. Java will be more open so=
on.

> 3) I know *BSD are/were mostly used to facilitate firewalls and/or
> other servers but if Java was to be a primary software platform for
> writing corporation systems why it lags in development as far as *BSD
> are concerned? Why installing Java for NetBSD is still true "tour de
> force"?

Because of the way Sun distributes the software.

> 4) If not Java then which language within *BSD world provides cross
> platform software interoperability: Windows - Linux - BSD - Mac?

How about python and ruby?
--=20
Michael Smith
Network Applications
www.netapps.com.au   | +61 (0) 416 062 898
Web Hosting          | Internet Services