Subject: Re: FireWire hard disk?
To: Andrew Ball <aball@students.prairiestate.edu>
From: Rhialto <rhialto@falu.nl>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/23/2007 23:55:42
On Sat 19 May 2007 at 23:10:49 -0000, Andrew Ball wrote:
> Is anyone using any version of NetBSD with an external IEEE-1394 hard
> disk drive such as the WD MyBook Premium Edition, Seagate FreeAgent
> Pro or just an ordinary disk drive inside a generic external
> enclosure?

I use -current/i386 on my laptop with a generic external enclosure, and
I have problems with commands timing out. I can copy sometimes several
gigabytes of data to the drive (formatted VFAT32) but once the problem
starts it recurs more frequently. After a minute the command times out
and is retried, then sooner or later (sometimes within a second) it
occurs again. The laptop's usb is too slow to be useful with a disk so I
have to endure this for the time being.

With 3.0 (on my other machine) firewire doesn't quite work at all (last
time I tried anyway), hence I am forced to use usb2 for my backups from
that one.

> - Andy Ball.
-Olaf.
\X/ rhialto/at/xs4all.nl        -- Cetero censeo "authored" delendum esse.