Subject: Re: "A nick for a NIC" - question and/or feature suggestion...
To: Zbigniew Baniewski <zb@ispid.com.pl>
From: Quentin Garnier <cube@cubidou.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/21/2007 17:52:45
--pnKWRgl7dPxnfV0h

On Mon, May 21, 2007 at 05:16:19PM +0200, Zbigniew Baniewski wrote:
> On Mon, May 21, 2007 at 09:11:14AM +0100, Stephen Borrill wrote:
>=20
> > To do this job properly, it is a kernel job.
>=20
> That's I was afraid of.
>=20
> And how do you find my proposal? Is it really a "bloat"?

It'd actually be pretty easy to have a "ifconfig whatever0 rename eth0"
command, because the interface name the userland deals with through
sockets is stored in the struct ifnet, and not shared with the struct
device.

Now, whether people would agree on having that is another matter.  I
think FreeBSD has something, you might have a look at the userland
interface to rename interfaces, and it'd probably be a good thing to
copy over.  The kernel part of this is a 5 minutes job, although it
might need some security considerations:  you don't want to be able to
do this under securelevel >=3D 1 (replace with relevant kauth(9)-speech
equivalent ;-).  There's locking to consider, too.

--=20
"You could have made it, spitting out benchmarks
Owe it to yourself not to fail"
Amplifico, Spitting Out Benchmarks, Hometakes Vol. 2, 2005.

--pnKWRgl7dPxnfV0h

--pnKWRgl7dPxnfV0h--