Subject: Re: FireWire hard disk?
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Andrew Ball <aball@students.prairiestate.edu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/20/2007 11:40:24
Hello Chavdar,

  CI> I am. I can give you the details tomorrow, but for the last
    > probably 6 months it has been without any problem. I use it
    > under -current.

Thanks.  I would be interested to know what make/model of drive you
use and with which IEEE-1394 host adaptor.  I'm having problems here
with a WD MyBook and a generic enclosure with a Prolific chip in it.
It's not easy to provide specific part numbers because the machine
tends to wedge hard when the drive is turned on.

  CI> If the IEEE-1394 disk is attached during boot, it either does
    > not get recognized, so I will have to disconnect/reconnect it to
    > mount it, or it does get recognized during boot, but
    > unfortunately before the SCSI disk, so it messes up the rest of
    > the boot.

Perhaps the numbers assigned to each one can be influenced from the
kernel config file.

  CI> If your question is about *booting* from it, then no, my systems
    > do not allow booting from such a disk as far as I know.

No, I'm just trying to get basic read/write functionality for now.

Thanks for your reply,
  - Andy Ball.