Subject: Re: NetBSD 4 Release date and upgrade
To: ck74 <>
From: Wouter Schoot <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/20/2007 12:22:36
Hi ck74 (and Jeff in CC)

> I would like to ask, whether someone knows scheduled release date of
> official NetBSD 4?

This is unknown. Every person seems to be in the dark on this one.

> It would be helpfull, because if there is only a month or less, i plan to
> wait for official iso releases.

I don't think that a release will be there within a month; Release
Candidates however may be more realistic.

The last official statement on the NetBSD 4.0 release process is dated
"Dec 3, 2006", send by Jeff Rizzo. This was right after NetBSD4_BETA2 was

On the "NetBSD 4 branch release engineering" site
(, it states that the branch is
still open for pullups. As far as I know, it will be closed for pullups as
soon as the release candidate process starts. Jeff stated that "we now
expect to be able to release NetBSD 4 in March."

Please keep two things in mind.

1) The people working on NetBSD are all volunteers. This means they don't
(usually) get paid for their work on NetBSD. This also means they work on
NetBSD in their spare- or free time. Therfor, this gives some troubles
trying to pin-point an exact release date, as available time may shift
during the release process.

2) NetBSD is released when it's "done". This also means that there may be
no huge problems left, found in the BETAs or RCs. When there are such
errors found, the release is usually postponed until there's a fix.

This being said, I of course ask myself the same question as you are.
Being patient isn't a real problem for me, but of course, I'd like to see
NetBSD 4 hit the shelfs too.

Further more, participating as a volunteer in a project like NetBSD
doesn't mean that you can do just whatever you want whenever you want.
When you dedicate yourself to such project, you need to keep your
customers happy too in a way.

Concluding, I think it would be a great thing if the NetBSD board would
give us an update on the release process. The announce mailinglist has
been awfully quiet on this, and the question posed in this message gets
asked more and more frequently on these mailinglist. This also indicates
there's a hunger for news/updates. If the date's pushed further back, it's
better to give the users feedback, than to leave them in the dark.

All the best, and thanks for your e-mail!

Wouter Schoot