Subject: USB <-> SCSI adaptors -- suggestions?
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: None <telmnstr@757.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/16/2007 09:45:01
Hello,

   I'm trying to use NetBSD 3.1 on x86 with a USB to SCSI bridge, which in
turn is connected to a 9 track tape drive that I'm planning to install in
a car as part of a mobile audio system.

   My current adaptors are ID'ed as Shuttle eUSCSI. Upon USB connection it
appears to come up as scsibus0, but the final error is a general bus
error. "scsictl /dev/scsibus0 scan any any" throws the same error (the LED
on the adaptor does blink, but I think it's resetting). I'm thinking that
perhaps the model and vendor information is in the code but perhaps it
isn't supported. I can't find any proof of anyone on *BSD or Linux really
using them, just that the vendor ID and model ID are in the source code.

   Are there any suggested older USB to SCSI or PCMCIA scsi adaptors that
are known to work with NetBSD 3.x on x86? I like the idea of USB as I'm
eyeballing a few ARM based embedded boards (Technologic Systems or
Gumstick). But if it's low cost (used market) and will work I'll go PCMCIA
to get this done. High thruput isn't really needed, as long as it can do
above 128Kbps ... the music should play. The smaller the buffer, the more
reel to reel action in the trunk.

  				- Ethan O'Toole / Norfolk VA