Subject: How to make hdd bootable?
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Zbigniew Baniewski <zb@ispid.com.pl>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/11/2007 15:36:16
I'm trying to copy an entire NetBSD system to another disk. All seems to be
OK, with one "little" exception: it's surprisingly difficult to make it
bootable.

On the target disk, there was DOS/Linux installation before, with LILO as
selector. After repartitioning and when new fs has been created, at the boot
time I saw still LILO prompt. Then I tried to fix it using fdisk - but
despite several tries using various fdisk options, all I've got now is
"Non-system or disk error" message.

Fdisk sees the partitions:

0 - it's the only one
1 - unused
2 - unused
3 - unused

Disklabel shows:

c - BSD4.2
d - swap
e - it does detect kind of copy(?) of the c.

I made several tries to install boot code to MBR, like f.e.:

fdisk -a -c location/of/mbr/code -i /dev/wd0

...with no desired effect.

So, how exactly should I make the system bootable? Which partion should
I point as "active" - '0' or '3'? How to activate it at last?
--
				pozdrawiam / regards

						Zbigniew Baniewski