Subject: Re: Setting a default ulimit for the whole system?
To: Gilles Gravier <>
From: Carl Brewer <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/11/2007 11:30:45
Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> On Thu, 10 May 2007, Gilles Gravier wrote:
>> So no other way than rebuilding a kernel?
> For logins (or other programs using login classes), put in /etc/login.conf
> for default, like:
> default:datasize=256m:
> (Put the size you want. See login.conf.)
> Then also use sysctl proc.curproc.rlimit.datasize.soft to set it (in
> bytes) for the processes that start processes. Set "curproc" above to the
> process ID you want.
>> How about some settings file in /etc? That's indeed a bit harsh. :)
>> Yes... I am trying to get a bigger data segment for php which complains about
>> not being able to allocate enough memory (though there is plenty available).
> Probably just setting proc.curproc.rlimit.datasize.soft for the apache
> startup script should be good enough. Maybe put it in
> /etc/rc.conf.d/apache?

This is what I did to make my zope process work when Data.fs got too
big for the rather antiquanted limits builtin to NetBSD by default :

my zopectl file :

more zopectl
#! /bin/sh

#ulimit -d 131072
ulimit -d 393216
etc ....

That worked for me, putting the ulimit in a startup script seemed the
easiest way at the time.