Subject: Re: swap and dump with cgd
To: Eric d'Alibut <>
From: Lubomir Sedlacik <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/06/2007 23:35:02

On Sun, May 06, 2007 at 02:57:17PM -0400, Eric d'Alibut wrote:
> I have been working at installing cgd, using that section of the
> NetBSD Guide as a guide:
> Problem: Having moved swap to the cgd partition, the system still
> wants to dump to the old, now non-existent swap on the unencrypted
> filesystem. (In that event it seems to me the encrypted file system
> would be hosed.)

it shouldn't be.  how did you configure your swap on cgd(4)?

> Question: What's the best way to run swapctl automagically at each
> boot to set the dump device to the swap partition on the cgd
> filesystem? It (swapctl) seems to accept the command
> # swapctl -D /dev/cgd0b
> from the command prompt.

  /dev/cgd0b none swap sw 0 0
  /dev/cgd0b none swap dp 0 0

note, however, that the dump is useless with swap on cgd(4) (you are
using random key, aren't you?).  you might as well just disable it:

-- Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@{NetBSD,Xtrmntr,silcnet}.org>   --

Version: GnuPG v1.4.5 (NetBSD)