Subject: Re: "User mode NetBSD"
To: Evaldo Gardenali <evaldo@gardenali.biz>
From: Rhialto <rhialto@falu.nl>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/06/2007 22:43:02
On Sat 05 May 2007 at 18:25:58 -0300, Evaldo Gardenali wrote:
> zSeries has z/VM partitioning/virtualization software. I doubt sincerely
> that someone will virtualize a NetBSD/vax, NetBSD/hpcmips, NetBSD/mac68k

Welllll, according to chapter 12 of "DEC STD 032 VAX Architecture
Standard" EL-00032-00-decStd32_Jan90.pdf the VAX has some optional
virtualisation instructions, so VAX on VAX should be possible ;-)
I wonder if the SIMH VAX emulator implements them...

(Aside, at university we used VM/370 on the IBM mainframe for faculty
and students, where a machine with 16 M real memory served 200 - 250
users simultaneously, each running VM/CMS, a single-user operating
system - so the current hype about what a great new thing this
virtualisation is is kind of silly to me)

-Olaf.
\X/ rhialto/at/xs4all.nl        -- Cetero censeo "authored" delendum esse.