Subject: Re: Xorg 7 on NetBSD
To: NetBSD users <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.org.uk>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/05/2007 16:01:49
On Fri, May 04, 2007 at 06:05:16PM +0100, Patrick Welche wrote:
> On Fri, May 04, 2007 at 01:02:47PM +0200, Martin Husemann wrote:
> > Whatever that might mean.
> > But the in-tree XFree base source tree is cross-compilable, and we have
> > not managed to get modular xorg into that shape yet.
>
> .. though it seems that xsrc/xorg is version 7.0. As xsrc/xorg isn't
> cross-compilable yet, is it worth importing 7.2 or whatever into xsrc/xorg
> as it probably won't break anything?

It's not worth it and it won't work anyway. X.org 7.x is modular and
requires a framework like "pkgsrc" to manage it.

1.) If you want X.org 7.x you have to use modular in "pkgsrc". If some
    of the modular packages aren't new enough submit a PR with an
    update, please.

2.) If you want to cross compile X11 use XFree86 4.5.0 in "xsrc", please.
    It's not uptodate to but it works fine, has X11 servers for vintage
    hardware and the necessary security patches get applied.

While the above situation isn't ideal it should be good enough as
an interim solution. Machines which need X.org 7.x because of hardware
support or its new features like 3D acceleration should definitely be
fast enough to build it from source. And for old hardware like a
SPARCstation 20 XFree86 does the job just fine. There is also no
problem with mixed setups e.g. running X11 clients on a machine using
XFree86 libraries with the display pointing to a machine running X.org.

Contribution to improve the situation (e.g. modular X11 packages with
vintage hardware X11 servers) are of course welcome.

	Kind regards